Innovation the IDEO Way
Today we attended a seminar on Innovation, Design Thinking and the IDEO way. IDEO are a San Francisco based organisation that specialise in designing new concepts for clients and have develop their own methods accordingly. They celebrate the success of succeeding, And learn from their mistakes, perhaps even celebrate a little.
It is better to fail often to succeed quicker.
The Ideo Way is a process to understand the client brief, perform customer research, brainstorm, design concepts, trial and feedback into better products.
- Set up your goals
- Problem – establish the current situation of the problem
- Customer research – survey the entire value chain of your product/service/process
- Share the information found with others in your team
- No Solution discussed, state the facts
- Deep Dive – Brainstorming each areas that was highlighted by customer research
- No critism, self censorship or bad ideas tolerated
- Vote for ideas
- Categorise Views, to refelect areas or needs establisthed earlier
- Prototype – one of a kind to visualise the concept, by focused teams
- Combine these into a design
- Celebrate having a concrete product that people can visualise
- Review with the customer for feedback
- Take feedback and review product to understand if any greater improvement can be gained